Thursday, July 19, 2012

Two dresses from 1, part 1

With the warm summer weather we've been having lately, I've been seeing a lot of cute maxi dresses and skirts. They're adorable and comfy and make such easy outfits. I discovered Leanne's blog through Pinterest, and fell in love with the dress she made for this tutorial: 

[Image from: Elle Apparel]

I liked the "yoga" band, the comfort factor, and definitely the color, but didn't want to go out and buy new fabric when I already have so much to get rid of. Then it dawned on me - I bought a grey knit maxi dress on clearance at Wal-Mart over a year ago for only $3 - it would be perfect!

For good measure, I tried the dress on first (which I'd never done before) to make sure it wasn't fine as-is. 

Needless to say, I do not quite have the body that that dress required, so....I got to cutting! This was a lot more difficult in practice than it was in my head...mostly because my serger and I aren't quite seeing eye to eye yet. The fact that the knit kept rolling didn't help either, but I was glad I got to keep two original seams and the hem. 

Since I finished it, I've been wearing the heck out of it - and it is super comfortable! Although with temperatures skyrocketing, I might have to retire it until the fall. But wouldn't this make a cute teaching outfit? I do need to figure out what other shirts I could wear it with. I kind of hate most of my clothes right now, so I might just have to make something else to wear this with. Any suggestions? 

Stash busted:
  • Grey maxi dress
Bought new:
  • nothing! Success! 

Stay tuned to see what I did with the top of this dress - I couldn't let it go to waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment