Monday, December 22, 2014
Top 5 of 2014, part 1
Jumping on the bandwagon that craftingarainbow started, I figured I'd share some of my top 5 lists for the year.
Because I'm a rule-breaker, I'm going to go with a 3-4-5 scheme for this first installment.
Let's start with the misses, shall we?
Top 3 misses - wadders. These were things that were so terrible that I couldn't be bothered to finish them. Disheartening, yes, but I'd like to think that I learned from my mistakes, at least.
1. The shorts that weren't. Maybe one day I'll find a pattern that works for me and my pancake butt...
2. This terrible "refashion" (I was about to say that I didn't learn a thing from this one, but I guess I did learn that this style isn't for me!):
3. The awesome tank that could have been if only I'd read up on bias tape before I started. I couldn't even bear to photograph this. I'd like to think there's a way to save it, but...probably not. But since then I *have* learned how to use bias tape, thankfully. I'd like to re-try this one with another fabric.
Top 4 misses - finished. I at least got to wear these once...
1. The peplum top that I thought it would be a good idea to make, despite me never having liked any peplum anything that I've tried on.
2. This hot pink ridiculousness. One of my friends says she loves it, but I just don't think it's "me." It was a pain and a half to make, and maybe a better skirt would save it, but...I think I'm over it. Might be time to give it to her.
3. This self-drafted tank. I like the pattern I drafted and need to revisit it, but the finishing on this one wasn't great and I never found myself reaching for it. It finally made its way to the donate bin recently.
4. My polo refashion. I loved it when I made it, but this has also recently been relegated to the donate been after not having been worn for a while. Just not my style, I think. Also, the shoulders are *way* too wide, which is just plain annoying.
Top 5 highlights of 2014 - I've got to end on a brighter note!
1. Holy hell, I bought a house!
2. And I got a new kitten to go with it! He brightens up my day so well, and is perhaps the world's best cuddler.
3. My trip to Puerto Rico with my best friend. Hiking, kayaking, seeing the little things glow in the bioluminescent bay, *and* not getting sunburnt? Win-win-win-win.
4. My new job and a raise. I'm keeping busier, which keeps me happy, and I like the work I'm doing, although it *is* less related to my long-term goals.
5. Ending toxic relationships and starting great new ones. I got to meet up with some super sweet people I met on my blog recently, and though we'd only ever talked online, we felt so comfortable with each other and talked the day away! Can't wait to go back and see them again, and for them to come here! I also like to think that I became more active in the sewing community with Me-Made May and the Flickr stashbusting group. Hopefully next year I can amp it up even more!
Any reflections on your past year? I'd love to hear about them!